This salad is, in fact, a hybrid from two famous Russian salads: Mimosa Salad and Shuba Salad.
I must say I love Russian salads. All of them.
In the classic Mimosa Salad recipe I use smoked mackerel instead of canned fish.
Due to grated technique used for all ingredients, this spectacular salad is pretty easy to make.
Mimosa Salad with Smoked Fish
- 600 g potatoes ( 6 small pieces )
- 400 g carrots
- 300 g smoked fish ( I use smoked mackerel )
- 6 eggs
- 1 chives
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon classic mustard ( aka yellow mustard )
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon soda
- Make the mayo and set in the fridge.
- Put the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water and cook for 20 minutes at low heat, lided.
- After those 20 minutes, add the carrots and let them boil together until the carrots are tender. Drain and let them cool.
- The eggs should be hard-boiled . So boil them for 7 minutes and set aside in ice cold water.
- When everything is room temperature, grate or chop and set aside separately so you can make the distinctive layers. The fish and chives will be finely chopped.The potatoes, carrots and eggs will be grated.The eggs will be grated separately, egg whites from egg yolks.
- First layer potatoes salted to taste followed by smoked fish, mayo, carrots, egg whites, mayo, egg yolks, chives
- Set aside to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.