Savarina is a one portion cake soaked in syrup made with rum or rum extract filled with whipped cream and topped with raspberry jelly.
Can be a yeast cake or no yeast cake and even I often love yeast dough I prefer for this cake the no yeast batter.
It is made in individual servings about a 5 cm tall, and 8 cm diameter but for homemade version, the muffin tray can be used successfully.
If you pay attention to the recipe’s instructions, will be a very easy to make.
You definitely should give it a try!
Savarina – Romanian Baba Au Rhum – No Yeast
- 12 x 8 cm tart molds or a muffin tray
- 5 oua separated
- 5 linguri zahar pudra
- 5 linguri unsalted breadcrumbs powder
- 1 lingura all-purpose flour
- 1 lingurita zahăr vanilinat
- 300 ml apa
- 6 linguri zahăr tos
- 30 ml rum essence
- 400 ml whipped cream mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- raspberry jelly
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Separate the eggs.
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar until stiff.
- Whip egg yolks with powdered sugar and vanilla sugar until fluffy and almost white.
- Mix the flour with breadcrumbs and add to the whipped yolk batter. Mix well.
- Add the stiff egg whites and mix slowly in an upside motion.
- Grease and line your molds.
- Pour the batter in your lined molds.
- Bake 18-20 minutes at 180°C, until brown to pass the toothpick test. During baking will rise and down. It's normal.
- Meanwhile make the hot water syrup in which the sugar is dissolved, adding the rum essence last.
- After the savarines are cooled turn them upside down and cut at 1/3 but not all the way through. Leave about 1 cm uncut making a crease.
- Pour the syrup over the savarines.
- Spread the jelly on tip of each savarina.
- Put in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Using a piping bag feel the crease you cut previously with whipped cream.
- Cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but I recommend overnight for enhanced flavor.