Papanași is one of the desserts specific to Romanian cuisine.
You can find them on the menu of any restaurant, but because they are easy to make at home, many housewives prepare it in their kitchen.
Try it yourself and it might become one of your favorite recipes.
Papanașii are donuts with a lot of cheese in the composition.
That makes them perfect for kids, but adults never say no either.
Romanian cheese doughnuts – Papanași
- 300 g ( 10 oz ) cottage cheese, drained
- 80 g ( 3 oz ) caster sugar
- 2 g ( a pinch ) baking soda
- 8 g ( 1 tsp ) orange zest
- 100 g ( 3.5 oz ) plain flour
- 14 g ( 2 x .32 oz ) vanilla sugar
- 2 g ( a pinch ) salt
- neutral flavored oil for deep fry ( canola, sun flower )
- Check your recipe
- In a bowl add cottage cheese, baking soda, sugar, orange zest, vanilla sugar, eggs and 30 g ( 1 oz ) flour.
- Mix well. Keep 2 tbsp of flour and add the rest gradually in the bowl until the dough sticks together.
- Put the two tablespoons of flour kept on your cooking surface and pour the dough on it.
- Knead just until incorporated.
- Split the dough in 4 even pieces.
- Shape the doughnuts; about 8 cm ( 3 inches ) disc-shaped and cut out the center.
- Shape the dough from cutting the center into balls.
- Pour the oil in a pan and properly heat it.
- Deep fry the doughnuts at medium temperature 175°C ( 275°F ), 4 minutes on each side.
- Drain the doughnuts on a paper towel.
- Put one hot doughnut on a plate, garnish with one tablespoon of sour cream, put one ball over and garnish with a teaspoon of preferred jam.
If you like it don’t forget to subscribe on our YouTube channel for next easy, tasty and tested recipes to make. ☺