Romanian country style potatoes in a pan.
I often make this recipe because it’s easy, nourishing and incredibly tasty.
Normally, in Romanian restaurants, these rustic bacon potatoes are served as a side dish. But I think they don’t need anything extra. I like to prepare and serve them as a main course, especially at dinner.
You really must try this original dinner recipe. Under 30 minutes cooking!
Romanian rustic bacon potatoes
- Non stick pan
- 700 g ( 1 ½ lbs ) potatoes ( red peel, for boiling )
- 150 g ( 5 oz ) smoked bacon
- 1 piece large onion or 2 small onions
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil ( or lard )
- 3 teaspoons paprika powder ( sweet )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- few fresh parsley leaves
- Peel the potatoes and chop them in small-medium dices: 2.5 cm ( 1 inch )
- Boil them in a 1 liter of water, with one teaspoon of salt. High heat until start boiling. After that at minimum heat, cover up and boil for 20 minutes. You can use a skewer or a fork to test to see if they are tender enough.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander, and leave them to steam dry until you will put in the pan.
- Warm the pan and add the oil.
- Cut the bacon into strips and fry at medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into thin slices ( julienne )
- When the bacon has started to brown, squeeze the onion a little in your hands and put it over the bacon in the pan. Stir, cover up, change the heat to minim.
- Let it to cook for approx. 5 – 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent and softer. You can stir from time to time.Keep a fairly close eye on pan because onions can scorch easily.
- Spread a pinch of salt and all paprika, stir and let to cook for 2 minutes. Covered.
- Add boiled potatoes, gently stir and let to cook for another 2 minutes. Covered.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve warm.