Shanghai Chicken Fingers is a dish that you can find and order in almost any pub in Romania.
I have no idea why it’s called Shanghai but I suppose that are actually from Chinese cuisine with some modifications to be served in Romanian pubs.
They’re actually strips of pane ( panne ) chicken breast, tender, tasty and flavorful.
You can serve them as such, for dinner or with your favorite side dish.
It will also save you when you need a fast warm appetizer because they are so flexible. Going well with any beverage, alcoholic or not, hot or cold and also with any kind of sauce.
They are very easy and quick to prepare and are also convenient because 20 pieces can come out of a chicken breast.
Shanghai Chicken Fingers
- 400 g boneless chicken breast or fillet
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon classic / sweet mustard
- 6 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sesame
- 1 tablespoon soda
- oil for frying
- Mix well all ingredients ( apart of chicken ) in a bowl adding extra soda if needed, to obtain a pretty liquid batter.
- Cut the chicken breast into strips about the size of a finger. You should get 15-20 pieces. Salt a bit.
- Dip in batter and deep fry in unflavored vegetable oil for 5 minutes or 3 minutes on each side if you use less oil, at low-medium heat.
- Remove to a paper towel.
- If batter remains, don't waste it! You can fry any fruit or vegetable in this. ( cabbage, apple,parsley..)