This stew is a traditional dish for Romanians.
Is a basic combination of meat, potatoes , onions that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy.
Thank you to Sultan for sponsoring this post !
Traditional Pork and Potato Stew
- 1 ½ kg potatoes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 600 g pork
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or lard
- 3 large onions
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste or one red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh dill finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot boil 2 liters of water.
- When it boils add the baking soda, salt and potatoes ( peeled and medium diced)
- Boil for 20 minutes at low heat, lided.
- Dice the pork, medium size (walnut size)
- In a pan, with 3 tablespoons oil or lard, fry the pork 3 minutes on every side, at high heat, until brown
- Switch to low heat and cook for 20 minutes, lided.
- Add the finely chopped onions.Steam it for about 8-10 minutes, until the onions become soften.
- Add ½ cup of white wine.
- Add the chopped garlic, tomato paste, red pepper paste and spices,
- Cook it for 5 minutes until the sauce changes color.
- Drain the potatoes and pour the sauce over them.
- Add the chopped dill, ½ liter of water, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5 minutes, lided.