I discovered this recipe some years ago in an old cookbook from our collection. These cookies are from Hungarian cuisine and the original name is “Husarcioc”, meaning Hussar’s kiss. There is no reason to change its name which sounds so funny.
These cookies are so easy to make and I’m sure you will keep them in your personal recipes.
You will need only a couple of ingredients which are common: butter or margarine, eggs, flour, confectioners sugar, caster sugar and nuts ( any kind of nuts you have).
These particular cookies were made with a mixture of pistachio and walnuts.
Hussar’s Kiss Cookies
- cookie tray
- baking paper
- 250 g butter or margarine
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 150 g confectioners sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon your favorite essence ( almond, vanilla, rum)
- Whip butter with confectioners sugar and flour for a few minutes. If you use margarine the cookies will be a bit flat, like mine.
- Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, mixing after each one. You will get a pretty soft dough.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C ( medium heat )
- Set the dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour. May stay overnight.
- From this dough make balls the size of a walnut ( approx. 20 g )
- First dip ball in unwhipped egg white and second in fine chopped nuts mixed with caster sugar.
- Bake at medium heat, on a lined tray, for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove quickly from baking paper because they stick to it.