Original name of this soup is Ciorba Radauteana.
“As the name suggests, the soup from Radauti was first prepared in the city of Radauti in Suceava County of Romania in the 70s. Was invented by Cornelia Dumitrescu. The housewife introduced chicken into belly soup – a Romanian traditional soup , at the insistence of her husband, who wanted chicken-flavored belly soup. He soon introduced the recipe to the menu of the restaurant where he worked. The soup was appreciated even by foreign tourists, who asked for the recipe. Many chefs or restaurant owners have introduced the recipe on their menus.” – Wikipedia
Radauti Sour Soup
- 8 liter pot
- 1 kg chicken with bones ( chicken backs )
- 2 large onions
- 3 carrots
- 2 parsley roots
- ½ celery root
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 500 g sour cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- I use a 8 liter pot
- Put the chicken parts in the pot in cold water (almost full pot) to boil over high heat.
- After 15-20 minutes, skim off the scum.
- Add the whole onions, well washed, unpeeled.
- Low heat, cover with a lid and boil for an hour.
- After this hour add the vegetables, whole, peeled and washed.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain the soup, set aside the vegetables and meat to cool off. Throw away the onions.
- Pick the meat from the bones, dice the vegeatblesand put them back in the soup. Add the mashed garlic now.
- In a large bowl, mix the sour cream with egg yolksand 1 tablespoon of salt.Add gradually a bit of soup, while mixing,until the mixture becomes hot, to avoid breaking the emulsion.
- Put it in the soup while mixing.
- Add 5-6 tablespoons of vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt if needed.
- Turn of the heat. Your sour soup is ready.